Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sookie and her Digestive Drama

As I first mentioned when I introduced Sookie that she is a Doberman. Anyone who is slightly familiar with the breed may also know that the breed is prone to digestive issues including bloat. This being the case it makes for very nervous parents whenever you see the dog in any sort of digestive distress. Like any dog she always had boughts of discomfort and "icky" BM's when her food changed but otherwise she seemed to have a generally healthy digestive system. This of course all ended the day she ate a box of double chocolate chip cookies...

I was at a Patriots game in November of last year. The dog was home all day but in the crate I had someone coming over to let out and make sure she got fed and exercises as I anticipated being gone for more than 4 hours. I got a message the she went out and was put back in the crate for when I got home. When I strolled into the house about 3 hours later I immediately notice that there were some things amiss. The first and major clue was that the unattended dog greeted me at the door. Yes something definitely was not right. It was most definitely a crime scene.

The now tired dog had now gotten into the love seat (by that I mean ate it) and green fluff was strewn about the downstairs den. As I made my way threw the house and Sookie's path of destructive I found the most disturbing evidence of all an empty plastic container of Double Chocolate chip cookies on the floor of the kitchen. When I had left the house it had been full and on the counter. I could only deduce from the evidence that Sookie had consumed the entire container. The dog had most definitely escaped from her jail and did pretty much what anyone would have done to their jailers. Eat what was forbidden and destroy their favorite toys. Oh she is a smart one.

I was not angry with her though I was borderline hysterical over the amount of chocolate that the dog had consumed. I called the emergency line at the Vet and got a call back. The vet asked some questions to determine the damage. The consensus was it was to late to induce vomiting and bringing her in would just be costly (she should have mentioned it might be worth it to save the carpet!). She gave further instructions to keep her from any food for 24 hours and ensure she doesn't get dehydrated. 

The dog seemed fine for the time being so I did as the Vet said and we all went to bed. I was jolted awake at 3 am by the cries of the dog. The nightmare had started. I would take her outside she would vomit and pee out her butt, then come right back in the house and do it again. I would make sure she had water and then the cycle would start over. I missed work that day to literally ensure the dog survived the drama. It was a long long day. Of course if she saw a box of unattended cookies she would still eat them without any lesson learned. She may not have learned a lesson but I sure did. Food is never left on the counter. EVER. I wish I could say this was the end of her digestive drama.. Unfortunately this was just the beginning..........

TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments:

Post a Comment