Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sookie and the couches....

Sookie is a smart creature with an eye for destruction...Ok really she just has separation anxiety and a compulsive need to chew. Prior to the vet's instruction on crating the dog we had made every attempt to slowly let her free during the day from the crate. I love the dog and really wanted to see her enjoy freedom. Growing up my dog always had free roam of the house. Then again she was mellow and well Sookie is not.

 In addition to anxiety I have a sneaking suspicion that the dog may have an undiagnosed case of OCD because there is literally no hole, snag or thread that she can not resist pawing or chewing at. When she was first a puppy she was crated off into an area of the downstairs den. She saw a snag in the carpet and she dug a hole, maybe even two, and that started her appetite for textiles.



 She wasn't ready to roam free; however the thought was that she could be trusted for 5 minutes alone. Not so much! In the meantime one of the two responsible people living in the home may have sat down on one of the leather couches with a key that possibly made a small hole in the couch. If only we have called Bob's and enacted the goof proof protection at that moment! Fast forward a bit. Sookie is left unattended while I go grab something from the mail box. I maybe was gone 5 minutes tops. I came in to find the back of the couch shredded and her pretty little nose covered in green stuffing. Oh yes she was in trouble, but so was I. In an attempt to hide said couch from other responsible person in the home I grabbed a blanket and placed it over the couch like I was making a fashion statement. No one not even Sookie bought into that deception. Evidence of such was experienced everyday until the couches were replaced! Daily we would find her with a snout full of green stuffing. You would think that a lesson would have been learned there, not so much. Not until she at the love seat as well.

So yes now the dog is medicated. Doggie downers are an amazing thing, and she has not seen more than a minute to roam free in the house unattended. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice it's time for doggie downers!

Sad but true... we have new couches. She hasn't eaten them but I kind of miss her covered in green stuffing.

2 comments:

  1. Bree you need to call Victoria Stilwell... lol she is the only one I think that could help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats probably more reasonable than the exorcism I was considering!

    ReplyDelete