Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sookie and the retainer....

Ah I have to laugh as I start to right this. My sister may not see the humor in this post but I certainly do.

I went to Hawaii in September. I couldn't find anyone to house sit so I had to find someone to pawn my sweet little Sookie off on. Sookie is on a special diet and has to take anxiety medicine daily, as you can guess this may get in the way of potential dog sitters; however under duress my mother agreed to take in the wayward dog for the week I was away. Before I left I made a hug container of rice, ground beef and green beans so that my mother wouldn't have to cook for her. I packed up the crate gave all the possible instructions. Dropped the dog off and wished for the best.

My sister who had been contemplating getting a dog of her own also agreed to take part in the Sookie experiment. I personally thought this was a wonderful idea. Understanding the responsibility of a dog may deter a brand new nurse who works 12 hour days from getting one. So to my sis I feel like I was doing you a favor!

So anyway I was in Hawaii and it was to late for my family to renege on the deal. They were stuck with the puppy and I was Sookie free for an entire week. I did call for updates, and I kind of went like I thought it would to spite the many assurances from my mom and sister that they could handle this misguided bundle of fur. She missed me. The first couple of days they had the neurotic dog in full swing she wasn't eating sleeping and was pretty much making everyone wonder what they had gotten themselves into. The only person who seemed to "get" the dog was my Step-father who was entranced by the dogs need to lay at his feet. Sucker.

My sister, mother and little brother not so enamoured with her temperament. So my sister tried to let the dog sleep with her. I give her credit she made it through the week even though she had to get up a few nights at 3 and 4 am to take a dog out who really was just messing with her. I give my mom credit for tolerating the entitlement issues the dog has, and to my brother who slept with her the first night and listened to her cry and tolerated her pooping inches from his work boots. (Just so you all know the dog has never crapped in the house ever prior to her trip to grandma's!) So yes they had a rough week while I enjoyed the beach.

I got an update near the end of the week. My sister was adjusting the dog was sleeping through the night and things were seemingly going easier that is until the last day. My dog made it a week without destroying anything of value.....but then as my sister got ready for work something caught Sookies eye. So like any curious dog would do she jumped up on my sisters dresses throwing everything in her way from the top of it under she found my sisters retainer. Miss Sookie saw something she liked and went after it. Sookie ate the retainer. My sister was pissed. Sookie is now referred to as the soulless ginger, and has officially been banned from my mothers house.

My sister recounted the story. I asked "Why weren't you watching her?"  She hung up on me. Oh well. Steph no longer wants the responsibility of a dog. I say my job there was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment